For over 16 years we have recruited talented people from operational or technical roles in the industry, and through rigours training and development, as well as practical experience, they have become highly effective consultants. It isn’t about the school you attended, your background, or who you know, it’s about ambition, dedication and a genuine desire to improve outcomes for clients and consumers. If you think you have what it takes, and you have some Financial Services industry experience under your belt, then the Altus Academy will accelerate your career.
What is the Altus Academy?
The Academy is an intensive and comprehensive one year induction programme specifically for those with 5-10 years of industry experience, who are looking to move into management consulting. The Academy will take you as a new undergraduate and help you become an effective consultant, giving you experience of every aspect of our business and involving you in real client work. You will graduate as a fully-fledged member of our Consulting team.
What will I learn?
- How to be a consultant
- Learning what a consultant does, and the principles and ethics that sits behind it
- Business Change Cycle
- Understanding why and how businesses change – and where consultants help
- Techniques in Business and Technical Architecture
- Learning to apply the catalogue of methods deployed by Altus at clients.
- Stakeholder Management
- Building the skills required to bring together the different disciplines and stakeholders required to make change a success.
- Presentation and Communication Skills
- Gaining the ability to hold the attention of a senior audience and to convey complex choices through the use of clear explanation and simple graphics.
- Effective client engagements and impactful deliverables
- Ensuring that our clients are not purchasing “shelf-ware”, Altus deliverables must have a valuable and significant life beyond their delivery.
- Getting to grips with FS Regulations
- Getting to know the regulatory frameworks that govern and safeguard the industry.
- Thought Leadership & Marketing
- You’ll be published in the press and contribute to building thought leadership
- The Sales Cycle
- From proposals and RFPs through to contracts project initiation
- How a consulting business is managed and operated
- Understanding the component parts of an effective consulting business
Which part of the team will I be in?
As an Academy undergraduate you’ll be part of our exciting Performance & Innovation team that sits at the heart of our business. You will be exposed to every aspect of our business, from insurance consulting to technology to management. Through these secondments you will learn how each of these functions work and be able to find your niche, once you graduate.
Are there any exams?
No, you don’t need to pass exams to graduate, although you may opt to do this as part of training courses you undertake.
Will I get paid?
Yes! This is not an internship, this is a full-time role and you’ll be part of the team from day one.
What would a typical month look like?
- 50% on real client engagements
- 25% on secondment in one of our teams (Insurance, Investments, Digital, Delivery, Systems and Management)
- 25% on training
What academy positions are available?
Please see our careers page. We are currently looking for academy undergraduates with experience in Insurance, Investments, Technology (particularly Solution Architecture and Cyber) or Programme Delivery (in particular PMO)
We look forward to having you as part of the team!
“It’s great to have the chance to transition my career from a BaU role to a challenging consulting position – The insight & experience I gain working with the wider Altus team couldn’t be replicated in any formal course!” - Jack, Academy Consultant